Links from Twitter, Facebook, and my blogroll.
- Shakesville's "Primarily Endless" is HILARIOUS. I love this series of posts, I love the artwork Liss does.
- Three from Think Progress: 1) Bradlee Dean, Rachel Maddow and Conservative Entitlement 2)Cantor ‘Puzzled’ That Obama Would Threaten To Veto The Latest GOP Tax Cut For Millionaires. 3) Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) advocates boycott of Coca-Cola to punish company for leaving ALEC
- Senator Tim Johnson of South Dakota tweets a graphic about VAWA: The Violence Against Women Act has had bipartisan support over the years. Let’s work together to reauthorize it
- From HuffPo: Planned Parenthood Worried It's The Target Of New Undercover Sting
- Another from HuffPo: Facing the facts of high premarital sex and abortion rates, Evangelicals decide to really talk about sex
- From AlterNet: How Darrell Issa and the Right Are Planning to Kill the U.S. Post Office
- From Truth Wins Out: Pro-equality Catholics urged to stand with American nuns, oppose Vatican bullying
"The Vatican also reprimanded Network, a Catholic social justice lobbying group founded by sisters. Both Network and the LCWR were cited for spending too much time caring for the poor and fighting economic injustice (topics that Jesus had quite a lot to say about, if my memory serves me) and not nearly enough time opposing — in fact, being “silent” on — women’s reproductive rights and LGBT equality (which, to my knowledge, Jesus never discussed at all)."
- From Mother Jones (warning, link is ad-heavy): Loudoun's own Dominionist anti-LGBT Prison Fellowship Ministries (bleah) in the news!
- From the NY Times: Lawyers Find Obstacles to the Disabled, Then Find Plaintiffs - whether or not you agree with the tactics, the truth is that enforcing the ADA is making NY City more accessible. As the population ages, the importance of this will come home to a lot more people.
- Why does this matter? Landlords in Sarasota County Discriminating Against Disabled and Minorities. It's hard to live your life if you can't find a place to live. Sarasota's powers-that-be are very clear that they don't have enough staff to enforce the fair housing laws.
- It's even harder to live your life if you can't make a living: Rising Unemployment Rate for People With Disabilities.
- Access, housing, jobs: it all comes down to perception. From This Ain't Living: Making Lives Valueless: People With Disabilities and Popular Perceptions
- While we're talking about accessibility, this comes from the University of Buffalo: Could Universal Design Be the Next Mainstream Movement in Architecture, Planning?
- From the Girl With the Cane: Attn: Editor of the New York Post, re: Americans with Disabilities Act editoral.
- From the Seattle Times: Designers add more personality to cutting-edge prosthetic limbs. Making prosthetics something to envy rather than pity.
- And from Dave Hingsburger: The Benefits of Inclusion #116 (discussing his attendance at a performance of a mixed-mobility dance troupe)
- From the National Partnership for Women and Families: Latest state to require cruel & medically unnecessary measures before an abortion: Louisiana.
- From Blue Virginia: Loudoun Republicans Revealed Themselves in the 2012 General Assembly Session. Despite all their big talk about how they were going to focus on jobs and traffic, the Loudoun Republican Caucus focused mainly on guns and limiting women's rights, and failed to bring home the transportation bacon.
- From Same Facts: The Romneys "struggled" in college, living off the sale of stock! (via @dailykos). Having a reliable source of funds is not struggling.
- From the Washington Post: McDonnell tries to Etch-a-Sketch his stance on abortion.
- Also from the Washington Post: Loudoun is on the fringe of making a historic error. Please, BOS, vote Yes on Metro. We need it.
- The Principal at PS 321 in Park Slope, Brooklyn writes a letter to NY State Education Commissioner. (via @danielradosh)
- From Dances With Fat: For Fat Patients and Their Doctors.
- From Ms. Magazine: The UN has estimated that women do $11 trillion a year of unpaid work.
- From Jezebel: For the Millionth Time: The Morning After Pill Is Not the Abortion Pill.
- George Takei has a question for the Straight Folks.
- And finally, a reminder to please just bookmark Jim Rigby's blog.