These come from my twitter, face book, and blog roll feeds.
Lots of links on North Carolina, and on Romney's and Obama's very different attitudes towards LGBT folks.:
- Liss from Shakesville cuts right to the chase: Fuck, He Did It
- On Babble, my friend Magda from Ask Moxie put it really well: Thank you, it's about time.
- Also from Shakesville: On Archbishop Timothy Dolan's reaction to Obama's statement about marriage equality, http://www.shakesville.com/2012/05/well-that-didnt-take-long.html">Well, That Didn't Take Long
- The Log Cabin Republicans also weighed in: Obama Announcing Support For Marriage Equality Is ‘Offensive And Callous’, but apparently Romney's pledge to support a federal marriage amendment banning same-sex marriage nationwide isn't.
- From The Washington Post: While in prep school, Mitt Romney assaulted a gay student. The man who wants to have the most powerful job on the planet has a history of bullying, cruelty, and conscienceless greed. Combine this with a lack of imagination about the reality of other people's lives, and the GOP candidate looks somewhat like a sociopath with good business sense. Bleah.
- From BuzzFeed: Romney High School Classmate says that [Mitt Romney] Was Kind Of A Jerk
- From Huff Po: Romney bullied GLBT Youth Group as Governor.
- From Talking Points Memo: Matthew Shepard's Mom on Romney's bullying of a gay student in his high school
- From Bravo TV: How Tom Colicchio dealt with "a ridiculous, even cruel, act of juvenile intimidation" like Mitt's "haircut" on Top Chef (via @digby)
- From Seriously Gay: My friend, Karen, hits it out of the park on Mitt Romney and Pastor Harris and bullying: "Straighten" the Gay
- From the New Civil Rights Movement: Pastor Who Advocated Gay Child Beating Is Having A Really Tough Day
- From Irish Central: Someone did exactly what Sean Harris wanted and now a child is dead
- From the News Observer: The marriage amendment, 1875 - “...in this foundational matter, thou shalt never be equal.
- From the Political Carnival: this powerful video of a black minister speaking out against Amendment One. Watch the whole thing.
- ”From Daily Kos: I am a straight white male, and this is how the push for "equal rights" has hurt people like me
- Another from Seriously Gay: Is this Democracy?
- From Left Out Loud: If you care about what happened in North Carolina yesterday, please retweet this photo.
- Mother Jones: Long-Term Trends Favor Gay Marriage
"His statement does, however, confirm that his mitre is actually a rectal chapeau"
Coffee. OUT MY NOSE. My keyboard will never be the same.
Reproductive rights (and War on Women generally):
- First, some good news: NY county passes law to *improve* safe access to abortion!. This is why we need pro-choice lawmakers at all levels of government!
- And from Daily Kos: House Republican wants to protect Planned Parenthood. Wait, what?
- And now back to our regularly scheduled ranting, from Think Progress: A study says there's no reason to restrict medication abortion services via Telemedicine, but why should that stop anti-choice legislatures?
- From NPR: When Religious Rules And Women's Health Collide
- From LA Weekly: Reporting that made me see red.
An L.A. mom whipped out her booby and started breastfeeding at the L.A. County Museum of Art recently, inspiring a hapless "staffer" to tell her to cover up. [emphasis mine]
LT Weekly, is your reporter twelve?
- Speaking of poor reporting, Cecily at Babble takes H&R Block to task: Yes, because all mom bloggers are white, blond, AND WEAR A FUCKING APRON.
- The New York Times has a reporting super fail.
- From Think Progress: Fox News Contributor and Sean Hannity Associate Says Giving Women The Right To Vote is Ruining America.
- From New Model Minority: What men mean when they talk about their “crazy” ex-girlfriend is often that she was someone who cried a lot...
- Jay Smooth says that Pro-Lifers have given him one more reason to be Pro-Choice.
- Liss at Shakesville does her usual awesome analysis: Utah Now Has 72 Hour Waiting Period for Abortions.
- From RH Reality Check: General Public Still Just As Supportive Of Abortion Access As Always.
- From mySA: Abstinence can be taught along with contraception. The two are not mutually exclusive.
- From Boing Boing: New Kansas abortion bill lets doctors lie to patients, withhold cancer treatment
- Babble on Vogue: Hell hath frozen over! Vogue Magazine pledges to cease showcasing pin-thin models
- From Military.com: Food stamp use at Commissaries up sharply.
- From Bossip: Recession Is Real: Record Number Of Americans With Graduate And Doctorate Degrees Are On Food Stamps And Welfare
- From NPR: Recipe For Safer Drinking Water? Add Sun, Salt And Lime
- Also from NPR: Shopping Bags Can Carry Stomach Flu Virus (Yikes!! I'm never getting another plastic bag, and I'm gonna wash all my canvas ones in hot water and bleach)
- From Grist: We asked the FDA if they have any plans to halt antibiotics in animal feed: Don't hold your breath.
- From the Nation: Evidently, foreign policy moderates have no place in today's GOP.
- From the Maddow Blog: Mourdock on 3 different networks: "Compromise" means Dems giving in to what GOP wants.
- From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal: Wisconsin sees widespread outbreaks of whooping cough cases. People, I had whooping cough as a kid, and I am here to tell you to get your kids vaccinated. Spread out the schedule if you must but get them the shots!
- From HuffPo: Asthma kills poor and minorities disproportionately, (yet another) study finds
- From Gawker: Horrific Footage of Mentally Ill Homeless Man's Fatal Police Beating Surfaces Online [Video]
- This one could go under many different headings, but we'll leave it here: House Republicans Would Slash Billions In Benefits For Low-Income Disabled Kids.
- Chen Guangcheng, Activist Lawyer, is a Hero (Oh Yeah, and He's Also Blind) - Law Office of Lainey Feingold
- From A Smarter Planet: Deafness is no disability for master inventor & new White House "Champion of Change" Dimitri Kanevsky
- From the Atlantic: How the #Blind are Reinventing the iPhone
- From Science and Technology: Power Prosthetics Propel Service Members to Better Lives
Virginia, oh Virginia:
- The Greene County Republican Committee. (Link is to my other site).
- Real Loudoun has more: Merely incompetent and corrupt
- Speaking of incompetent and corrupt, from the Loudoun Times Mirror: Locked doors, lack of notice for Court House Grounds Committee meeting.
And finally, on Maurice Sendak:
- From Blown Covers: A conversation between Maurice Sendak and Art Spiegelman.
- And from Phantom Scribbler, one of the people who started me blogging in the first place, a beautiful and true tribute.