From my Twitter feed*:
First up, my very favorite link of the day. From Jim Rigby (who, I am assured by a friend who knows him, is the smartest person you will ever meet and who is a minister in Texas): Ten Things I wish the Church Knew About Homosexuality
And now, in no particular order:
- From Shakesville: Headlines of the Day
- From Slate: Why do you have to fill out all these complicated forms at all? ‘Cause that’s the way conservatives like it.
- From RH Reality Check: Now It’s Clear: “Pro-Life” means “Pro-Imprisonment”. Did you notice in the article that the folks who are pushing imprisonment for pregnant women are “The Liberty Counsel”? Talk about cognitive dissonance.
- A video from Funny or Die: If you’re not mature enough to continue a candidacy to term, you shouldn’t engage in the risky behavior that begins it.
- From Mother Jones: Red states get 30 cents more federal spending per tax dollar than blue states.
- Also from Mother Jones: Study: All-White Juries More Likely To Convict Black Defendants (via @scaTX)
- From The New Civil Rights Movement: 14-Year Old Suicide Victim Was Receiving Death Threats For Being Gay
- Also from TNCRM: ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill One Step Closer To Law In TennesseeWhich leads us to a brief public service announcement from George Takei:
- From The American Prospect: Stop Blaming Dysfunction on Both Sides (Liss has said this for years)
- From HuffPo: WORK Act Would Give Low-Income Moms the Same Option as Ann Romney (for 3 years) – via @ThinkProgress
- From The Guardian: [UK] Protesters prepare to fight disability living allowance cuts – video
- From REV-elution: Amendment 1 is the litmus test to determine who gets my vote (via @PamSpaulding)
- From Think Progress: You know where we can find awesome female action heroines? THE TORAH
- From Grist: Charming video explains where traffic comes from and how to fix it (Spanish with English subtitles) The Loudoun Board of Supervisors should be required to watch it.
- From Dogs Against Romney: Common sense: activist responds to desperate spin from Romney’s campaign (via @gn)
- From The New York Times: NEWSFLASH: Drug testing welfare recipients doesn’t save money. Just harasses our fellow citizens for being poor. (via @SallyKohn)
- From The Maddow Blog: Clever use of Virginia’s “Trust Women, Respect Choice” plates: “The VRGYNYA license plate” (via @NARALVA) I especially like the bumperstickers. Speaking of which, what does YOUR “Trust Women, Respect Choice” license plate say? Mine says “DORBLQN”.
- From Dave Hingsburger: Urine Nation (Please Read). A must read for disabilities activists and for people who are caring for people with disabilities.
- Here are two from Mrs. Q: Here’s why many families rely on school meals to bridge the gap… and Sixth graders: Give us time to eat at school
- From Jezebel: Paperwork Keeps Chicago Mother from Obtaining U.S. Citizenship for her In-Vitro Twins
And now back to our regularly-scheduled linkfest.
*I may spend too much time on Twitter.